Re: [OM] Film for photographing icebergs

Subject: Re: [OM] Film for photographing icebergs
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 15:42:16 -0500
At 13:34 3/10/02, I wrote:
At 05:54 3/10/02, Bernd Moeller wrote:

So the question is: Which film renders both the crystal blue colours of icebergs, the deep colours of the sparse greenlandic vegetation, the black rocks and the immense amount of sky, and can cope with the high contrasts?

High contrast is a tall order for chromes. Have you tried Fuji Astia or considered it?

I compared the characteristic curves between it and Provia 100F. Astia looks a little longer in the toe of the curve (i.e. should have greater latitude). It's more restrained in saturation, but accurate in color. diffuse rms granularity of 10, about par for the E-6's in this speed.

Just compared it to Kodak's Ektachromes: EPN, EPP, E200, E100S and E100VS (E200 = pro version of Elitechrome 200, E100S = pro version of Elitechrome 100, and E100VS = pro version of Elitechrome Extra Color).

I would have expected EPN (also a restrained saturation film) to be a bit longer in the toe/shoulder but it doesn't appear so. I've used it and IMHO it is accurate color, but "flat" compared to Astia. Maybe more suitable for catalog work when control of product "reflectance" and its effect on color accuracy is of concern.

They're all about the same as Provia 100F in about the same delta of Log Exposure spanning film Density (shift the curves for ISO 200 films to account for half the exposure required). Exceptions were E100VS which appears to be narrower in latitude at the toe (not too surprising) and E200 which appears to be a little wider, but not as wide as Astia and Astia's MTF looks slightly better for higher apparent image acutance (E200 doesn't exceed 100 0n the lower lp/mm and falls off slightly steeper; Astia exceeds 100 0n the lower lp/mm and its falls-off isn't as steep).

On the topic of acutance, Provia 100F looks better than Astia's, but not by much (alas, Kodak doesn't provide these numbers, so it's pure interpretation of the MTF curves):
         1.6:1        1000:1
Astia   55 lp/mm     135 lp/mm
Provia  60 lp/mm     140 lp/mm

Just some technical data for consideration. I recommend shooting some under high contrast situations to see if you like the visual results *before* loading up on it for your trip.

-- John