Re: [OM] Film for photographing icebergs

Subject: Re: [OM] Film for photographing icebergs
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 13:34:46 -0500
At 05:54 3/10/02, Bernd Moeller wrote:

So the question is: Which film renders both the crystal blue colours of icebergs, the deep colours of the sparse greenlandic vegetation, the black rocks and the immense amount of sky, and can cope with the high contrasts?

High contrast is a tall order for chromes. Have you tried Fuji Astia or considered it?

I compared the characteristic curves between it and Provia 100F. Astia looks a little longer in the toe of the curve (i.e. should have greater latitude). It's more restrained in saturation, but accurate in color. diffuse rms granularity of 10, about par for the E-6's in this speed.

For snowscapes I try to avoid warming, will err on the side of cooler tones and would do the same with icebergs and glaciers. Which way you go depends on your vision for it!

-- John