Re: [OM] OT SCSI - was Scanner SCSI problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OT SCSI - was Scanner SCSI problem
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 18:59:16 -0600
Cc: imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here's an (OT) polemic for you ...

<snipped>

I guess that's what makes horse races! I actually spent several years supporting PCs (DOS and Windows) and Macs and still do it occasionally (it's no longer my day job). I've dealt with a bunch of SCSI conflict problems and startup sequence issues (and not always on Macs). I've repaired more than my share of blown components because cables (SCSI, ADB, keyboard,...) were connected and disconnected with the computer on. I'm glad moving things around worked for you, but I wouldn't recommend it on anything but recent equipment designed for such cable swapping.

USB has been a dream for me. My only real complaint was that I bought a USB 2.0 card for my Mac G4 only to find that OS 9.x didn't support USB 2.0. So now I have OS X, which supports USB 2.0, but doesn't allow the computer to go to sleep because it has an Adaptec SCSI card in it (!). I'm hoping Adaptec's latest update and OS X 10.1.3 is enough to integrate my CD-burner fully.

OT polemic over; may I email you direct about OSX issues? :>).

Sure. I'm still a pioneer with it, but I've learned where to look for most of the answers and will help as much as I can!

Ob OM: So if I'm scanning photos, manipulating them, and printing them off my computer, why won't I buy a digital camera? :-)

Steve