Re: [OM] 21/3.5 an interesting lens

Subject: Re: [OM] 21/3.5 an interesting lens
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 00:11:00 +0000
At 02:40 3/7/02, Mark Lloyd wrote:
The thing that struck me most, however, was its lack of apeture settings only 5 stops from 3.5 to 16. I for one feel that they should have added an f22 stop cause in the bright snow with portra 160 even at f16 I had to use 1/500 to 1/1000th of a second to get the OM-1n's needle inbetween the lines. Still it was an interesting day using a lens that has an overall different feel from any other lens in my lineup.

Aperture diffraction limiting is the reason. Resolving power would plummet at f/22. Lens design cannot fix this; it's a relationship between focal length, absolute aperture diameter required for f/22 at that focal length (f-number is focal length divided by effective absolute aperture diameter) and the wavelength of visible light.

[snipped out some "rambling" :-) ]

It's a difficult lens to control since it's such a huge angle and I'm thinking of maybe selling it to try for a 24/2.8 or should I just get out and practice more? Thanks for listening to my ramblings

Yes, a super-wide is more difficult to control, it's not a lens for everything, and you won't likely use it as much as other focal lengths. However, it can create some magnificent perspectives if the subject material supports the super-wide view. I wouldn't think of giving up my 18/3.5 even though I use other lengths much more often. When I want the super-wide perspective, my next step up, a 24mm, doesn't have what I'm looking for. It takes a while to learn how to envision what it will do because it is so different from the human eye's perspective. Keep using it and experimenting with it; give it a chance to grow on you, and for you to grow with it. Don't forget to think about vertical as well as horizontal composition with it.

Start saving for the 24mm and be patient. Don't worry, there's plenty of them around!

-- John