Re: [OM] Re: Why the fondness for silver noses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Why the fondness for silver noses?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 22:42:14 +0000
At 03:12 3/4/02, Johnny Johnson wrote:

Hi Andy,

John Lind is a tough act to follow and I don't have anything to compare to his tulip but - here's an animal shot:

http://home.attbi.com/~jjohnso4/OM_images/013.htm

A marvelous photograph. Excellent DoF control (the grass goes out of focus just behind the animal) and the brown tonality of the entire composition, buffalo and grass, is harmonious.

The expression is priceless; definitely giving you "The Look." Suggested caption: "If you don't get outta here with that blasted camera and quit photographing my ugly butt with it, you'll find out what the beautiful horns on this end are for."

This is subject material well worthy of the 300mm to allow a safe stand-off distance. There were two buffalo preserves at Fort Riley, Kansas when I was stationed there; a small pen and a larger grazing area. Every now and then someone would disregard the prominent warning signs on the large grazing area and climb over its fence thinking buffalo are nothing more than odd-looking domestic cattle. Cattle can be bad enough (been around them before too); buffalo are definitely wild animals. The Military Police periodically had to conduct a rescue on the large preserve. Fortunately I don't recall anyone being seriously hurt, but they could easily have been killed by a couple of the very aggressive bulls that were there.

-- John