Re: [OM] Spending the bonus

Subject: Re: [OM] Spending the bonus
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:05:14 -0800
Well, I survived the annual review process.  In fact, our
company is surviving so far, despite the demise of the telecom
industry.

Yeehaa!  (that's Yowza! to the rest of you)  Not only did I get
a decent raise, but also a terrific bonus to boot.  AND I just
interviewed for a new position which could be a tax bracket or
two more lucritive.  (top candidate!)  Ok, enough of the
bragging intro.  I absolutely give the glory elsewhere on this
one.

Anyway, the bonus is quite decent and is partially earmarked for
a new kitchen stove and possibly a refridgerater, but my
wonderful wife has suggested that the remaining portion go
towards camera stuff!  How much depends on the refridgerator.
But I'm looking at $400-600 for "stuff".

The OM-4 will go in for maintenance. (Subtract $150)
B&H will supply some film supplies (Subtract $100)

So, therefore I'll have $200-400 left over.  Hmm.  Doesn't look
quite as much as it first did...  Bummer, I was thinking about a
300/2.8.  Does she REALLY need that refridgerater?

Maybe a used color enlarger?
Maybe a color printer for the computer?
Maybe a used E-10?
Maybe a Keiv?  ...excuse me while I...
Maybe a decent macro setup?  Can always trade the 50/3.5.
Studio flashes and backdrops?
Stroboframe?

What does a decent 300/2.8 cost these days?  Should I risk the
wrath of the household and say no to the "chiller"?  Would that
put an unnecessary "chill" on the household?  Will that 300/2.8
come with a seperate bed?

These are decisions I haven't had to make in YEARS!  Help me out
folks!  I would even consider MULTI-COATED lenses here.  (Scary,
huh?)  Could just go surfing www.zuikoholic.com.

This could be my chance to "de-retro" myself.

Current harem:
24/2.8 (whammied and could use replacing)
35/2.8
50/3.5
100/2.8
135/3.5
200/4
OM-2S
OM-4
Flash
Couple of bags
Tripods galore
Omega 66 BW enlarger
Federal 4x5 BW enlarger
Nikon Coolscan II

AG-Schnozz

Found money is great. Seems a shame to use it to slightly amplify your current set of tools. How often do you use the 200/4. You will use the 300/4.5 ($300-400) less than half that.

Why not consider that Mamiya 645E kit? A bit more than what you are talking about, but will rekindle the old spirit?

Or take some drawing classes. You will be amazed at how your photographic experience will enhance that and the drawing will inform your photography. Take one of those "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" classes. They teach anyone to draw - well and quickly.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?