Re: [OM] [OT] Riddle (was "unlucky numbers?")

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Riddle (was "unlucky numbers?")
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:15:20 +1100
>>So are you saying the "Holy Roman Empire" also does not have spot metering
>>and it is not automatic?  I don't get the connection between the Spotmatic
>>and the "Holy Roman Empire".  Can someone explain this riddle to me?
>
>It was not holy, it was a political entity, a kingdom.  It was not
>Roman, it was in the area of France and Germany.  It was an attempt
>to create something trading on the prestige of the past, sort of like
>Cosina calling its product a Voigtländer.
>--
>Winsor Crosby

Oh - low blow! Perhaps I ought to do a comparison of the CosVoigt 21/4 and
the Zuik 21/3.5 - might be embarassing.
Incidently, my understanding was that the Spotmatic did have spot metering
in the prototype but this was dropped for the final release on the grounds
that most consumers didn't want it and would want to pay the extra for it.
Automatic referred to the fact that the lens stopped down automatically,
unlike earlier pre-set lenses.
AndrewF