Re: [OM] Re: David Vestal and "Seeing the Photo"

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: David Vestal and "Seeing the Photo"
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 00:34:23 -0800

It seems to me that our more automated cameras may enhance the process of producing fine photos. Stay with me on this (g). If one is shooting a fluid scene, sports, children, any action; the more automated AF, Program mode cameras in the hands of a photographer who knows how to use them would free the photographer up to compose and shoot better photos.

I wager that most of us who have OM-2 and OM-4, etc. use the auto mode more than manual. We can control depth of field and aperture while being cognizant of the shutter speed that results from a given aperture setting. Thus, little if any math or detailed thought process regarding aperture and shutter speed gets in the way of the "creative process".

In the time I have had my OM-4t I may have used the manual mode twice. I find the auto mode to be easier and it does free me up to "get the shot." This is especially true with children who are elusive as heck.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave Dougherty

Yeah, except you forgot to mention the controls of the 4T are limited, easy to access and one-touch. No menus and sub-menus to scroll through, etc. Also, it's recycle rate is practically zero seconds--well, as fast as any human could possibly hand crank it, and way ahead of the MD with a fresh power pack.

I'm also not convinced this new glass is up to the standards of the old Zuikos. For certain the build quality is not, and I wonder a lot about the build quality of the bodies themselves. It's been years since I held in my hands a real camera other than an Olympus, and I believe that was an old F-series Nikon with all its attendant baggage.

For whatever that's worth.

I, too, look forward to an inspection of this new Oly gadget, but I'm not holding my breath.

Tris