Re: [OM] The slow death of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] The slow death of OM
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 14:21:53 +0800
I can't comment on your statement as I don't know what Olympus has
said in 1980. I think the death of Olympus was due to the wrong
strategy of Olympus in mid-80', they made a P&S AF SLR camera instead
of a full feature creative photography tool. Olympus did get the right
way to escape from 35mm SLR system after the lost, the AF SLR market
is/was unable to accommodate the number of camera manufacturers. I
think Olympus at that time was much smaller than the other three, keep
competing with the big competitors need lots of funds so it was
impossible.

Another reason could be Olympus strategy - to be success you have to
be one of the first to enter the market. Just like the microscope, Pen
camera, the micro cassette, the digital camera... I don't think their
escape was because of loss of "face".

C.H.Ling