Re: [OM] The slow death of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] The slow death of OM
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 07:27:39 -0800
Hi Zuiks

I wonder if some of the decline is due to a loss of "face" and the need to find
another way forward for the Company.

I remember (Must be another Grouch in the making if I start a statement with
"I remember ...") when Olympus issued a statement either separately or in
Vision Age, to the effect that they were going to dominate the 35mm field
and sweep all before them. Must have been 1980 +/- a year or two.

I thought at the time that this was a rather rash thing to say.  Even then it
seemed to me as an OM enthusiast, that Olympus were struggling to keep
up with N+k+n and C+n+n and M+n+l+a, who were making great advances
in certain directions. And the OM position never got any stronger despite that
bold assertion.

What do you do when you make a rash statement to all the world (including
your competitors !!) about your future, then don't make it happen? It's a little difficult, I should think, and what direction do you turn your corporate face to
hide the embarrassment?.

I wonder if C.H. Ling and Kazuya Matsumoto would care to comment on
what I have just written above? They would see these things with a bit more
insight into the culture involved.

Brian

As Deep Throat is supposed to have said, "Follow the money".
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?