Re: [OM] (OT)I am I am Retro-grouch I am

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT)I am I am Retro-grouch I am
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 13:36:39 -0800 (PST)
My personal forays into medium format have been with the
following:

Crown Graphic: Awesome pictures, tremendous flexibility, strong
as an ox and very usable.  With the passages of time, this
camera could make a comeback as the ultimate "cool camera" to
own and use.  Truely a functional retro camera.  I love
composing on the 4x5.  Unfortunately, totally lacking in any
electronics which aid the process.  The well-practiced news pros
could out sequential shots in about five seconds.  Might get a
nice lightweight field camera someday.  4x5 rules in the
darkroom too.

Mamiya C220:  Had three different lenses sets for it.  Took
great pictures and I really like the square format.  Aweful
ergonomics ruined it for me.  No DOF preview was a major
drawback.  The reversed image was something I could never come
to terms with as I compose with "flow" in mind.  My pictures
were always static as a result.

Mamiya 645:  That was a nice camera.  Lens wasn't the sharpest
and the viewfinder image was too dark.  However, the ergonomics
were slightly better.  The weight and size of the camera really
wasn't a problem and I hiked with it many miles.  Sold it to
fund flying lessons or something crazy like that.  Very easy to
compose images that more closely matched the 8x10 printing
format.  The 100% viewfinder was a really nice touch and I've
missed that in the OMs.

Mamiya Super-23:  Bought it because I needed medium format for
wedding work.  Good ergonomics, but the weight and size were
enough to wear out all but the strongest Patriots football
players.  Sold it because I manage to survive weddings without
medium format.  I'm reminded that I can't stand rangefinder
cameras.  (XA being an exception).  The camera also scared
children.

My heart probably is still with the Mamiya 645.

AG-Schnozz