Re: [OM] Saturday Sports Shooting

Subject: Re: [OM] Saturday Sports Shooting
From: Mike Darling <cosmo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 21:44:18 -0500
i've shot 3 of the last 4 wrestling matches here at school for the university paper, using only Tri-X and TMax400, both pushed to 800. With the 180/2.8 i had no problems with exposure, but last week the lights in the gym seemed to be a little dimmer than usual. I haven't seen the scanned negatives yet but on the light box they appeared to be about a stop under-exposed with very little shadow detail. Once i get my midterms under control i hope to spend some time in the darkroom making prints, since i seem to get better results scanning 8x10's than with the film scanner.

At the first match i covered there was a photog using Nikons and what i can only guess was a remote strobe. He didn't have any on-camera flash, but a small radio transmitter high on his neck strap. I can only guess he had OTF, TTL, and a couple more acronyms in use at the time.

Can anyone suggest some references for 'advanced' sports photography? Remote strobes and such? I've got about a year left here at school and we' ve got some serious possibilities to make it into some championship games in the near future. Having some NCAA sports shots in my portfolio might come in handy someday :)