Re: [OM] Vivitar series 1

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar series 1
From: "Bernd Moeller" <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:22:53 +0100
Hi Adi,

> My impression of the vivitar 35-85 f2.8 isnt as positive. Of course I must
> qualify that this is purely from a handling viewpoint. I have never exposed
> film through it.
>
> The lens is big, too big in fact for an OM body. The balance is extremely
> awkward and it sort of defies the original principles of the OM design.

You're right about that design priciple. How is the Zuiko 35-80 compared to the
Viv? My Viv is big and requires a firm grip around the barrel. But it focuses
from close to infinite with a turn of just 90 degrees. That makes it very fast
to operate.

> I do not know how sharp the lens is but I did not see the same viewfinder
> snap that I got with other Zuiko zooms and the 50mm 1.8. There is something
> very soft and hazy about the image produced in the viewfinder.

I did not have that impression. An SLR is WYSIWYG - a sharp viewfinder image
should produce a sharp image on the film plane.

> I looked at the lens long and hard, because it was available at quite an
> attractive price. I tried to imagine myself walking around with it. The lens
> would point downward. If I jumped it might shear off the mount of my camera !
> A most frightening image !

Well it does point downward if you don't attach a Winder. I am not so concerned
about the shearing-off. The OM mount looks reasonably solid to me.

> I gave it a pass. Awakward handling, heavy weight, dodgy viewfinder image.
> So thats my take.
> Like I said, I never exposed film through it so it could still be the
> sharpest lens in the world/

Yes, that is what variety is good for. We all have lenses and cameras of our
choice. I thought I could dare to try something different. And the Viv Ser. 1
35-85 is different from the Zuikos I have.

Best regards

Bernd