[OM] Quicky re films

Subject: [OM] Quicky re films
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:22:18 -0000
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question regarding films.  Following my previous query re the
taking of film through airport x-ray machines, I've gotten around the
problem.  2 of the group who are going to Amsterdam are driving out with the
kit in a van, so I shall give them a couple of films to take with them.  No
risk of any x-ray damage there, only risk being if the ferry sinks !!

So, what film to take.  I recently picked up a couple of slightly
out-of-date films which I would like to try as I've heard some good
comments.

I have a roll of Kodak Portra 160NC, which I've heard lots of good stuff
about on here.  It has a process before date of July 2001.  Is this film
good only for portraits (not going to be doing many of them in Amsterdam !)
or does it's "quality" work with other subjects too (ie, landscapes,
buildings, water, etc.).  Also, does the fact that it is classed as a
"professional" film have any effect on it's ability to be used when a little
out-of-date ?

I also have a roll of Fuji Astia 100 (Daylight), as I have never tried
slides and would like to give it a go.  It has a process before date of
March 2001.  Similar questions for this film, and does anyone have any
experience of the quality of this film, how faithful are the colours, any
particular subjects it is good for ?

Thanks for the help.  I have the usual supply of Superia, etc., which I can
take too, but only the one body (OM-2N) so need to make my choice before I
load up (am likely to be too busy to go around swapping films & taking more
than one roll of film !).

Jon