Re: [OM] OM2+flash

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2+flash
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:42:36 -0600
Oh heck yeah!  I didn't mention think to mention that...
The smallest bulb makes the biggest portable flash look like a light-weight.

Sorta compare it to gasoline .vs. electric cars.

The power ratio is even more fantastic.

Consider that these were designed for ASA 12-25 film.
Large to medium format cameras (the bread and butter of the press)
Probably f8 lenses - tops.  Slow lenses, no zooms, minimal telephoto.
You had to light it up big time!

There was no such thing as "available light" except for a few 35mm people
pushing the extreme limits then to get ASA 200-400 (and I mean really
pushing it
here - around 4 stops at least w/o the benefit of the latitude in todays
films)

The smaller ones found use in consumer cameras but, the
press/professional photographer as always (ok, I'll say "then") pushed the
R&D.
Try to shoot full - even half-court basketball with ASA 100
(I'll go fast black&white here) and a f8 lens.

No wonder some of these are the size of a small light bulb!