Re: [OM] OM2+flash

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2+flash
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:04:20 -0600
> Mark,
>
> Never used the FP setting myself.  As I understand it, a flash bulb
> needed a certain amount of time to build to the full output of light.
> The FP setting would touch off the bulb ahead of time, so the full light
> output of the bulb would be available when the shutter opened.
>
> Bill Stanke

Yes, you are correct.  However, I will elaborate :)

As far as the delay to get a flash bulb fully lit, I'm not sure
but, it's like asking how fast did that dynamite go off?
It's fairly fast...

FP setting is for a F-ocal P-lane shutter.

This also denotes a class of flash-bulb that burns long enough
and evenly  for the slit in the focal plane shutter to traverse across
the focal plane - lighting the subject evenly.
Thus, you can use shutter speeds up to 1/1000th of a second.

The shutter curtain does not have to be open all at once which is what
causes the typical 1/60th of a second limitation with electronic flashes.
Shutter opens all of the way, triggers flash, shutter closes.

Cameras with higher X sync speeds use a faster mechanism
that can fully open and close the shutter curtain faster.
Typically, these are metal shutters and, have vertical travel rather
than horizontal (it's shorter that way - of course).

As opposed to a "M" setting which is a regular flash bulb used with
a leaf shutter camera.  It does not burn as long as a FP bulb because,
it doesn't have to.

The new higher speed electronic flashes I'm guesing also just extend the
flash time.

Jon
Uh? Did that help?