Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night sky

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:57:17 -0600
> I'm very interested in solar power for both heating (air/water)
> and for electricity production.  Unfortunately retrofit costs
> are very high so we have been addressing the situation on the
> consumption side.  Still can't get my wife to turn the computer
> off when she is done with it, but that is a small concession.

I actually measured it and figured it out and, compared to the monitor,
the computer itself uses next to nothing.  And, this is not a "Green"
computer
and, has no power saving settings engaged.
I have a motion detector turn the room light and monitor on and off.
And, actually, because I have X-10 ActiveHome controlling lights
and, the thermostat and things, it's probably cheaper to leave the computer
on to do that.
Besides which, being in the computer business, I abhore an idle computer!

> Electricity costs are not that cheap here in the US.  Few places
> actually have more expensive electricity.  However, gas for the
> car is another story.  Cost of living here in Iowa is NOT as
> cheap as the locals like to brag that it is.  Housing costs
> (equivelent square feet) are lower, but utilities and taxes are
> high. Besides, in the big cities, people just have slightly
> smaller houses to stay in the same housing cost range as we do
> here in Iowa.  My mortgage payment is $1200 per month which
> isn't too bad, but not too far from what the average city
> dweller pays.  Difference is that my house is 20 years old
> instead of 120 and about 3000 square feet (including basement)
> instead of 900.  I also have to shovel my own sidewalks.

Yeah!  I paid over $100 in property taxes last year!
And, I have to shovel my own sidewalks too (well, if I had any I would..).
Gas (petrol) is about $1.07/gallon here currently.

Jon