Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night sky

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:38:15 -0600
> > What good does a light out in the sticks do anyway?
> It's so you can SEE!  There's no light pollution, thus there is NO light.
> Thus, it's DARK.
>
>I have a nifty little invention connected to my outside light, it's
>called a switch.
>I flip it on when I go out and I turn it off when I come in.

That probable makes sense if you stay inside and watch TV
and only turn the outside light on once a week.

If you're outside, a switch isn't always that handy when
and where tyou need it.

I don't have one and, when you get to mail where I discuss what is
permissible to do on the electric company's side of the meter (nothing)
and, what it costs to run underground cable and switches according to
the 1999 NEC (which they go by even in my neck of the woods) perhaps
you would see why putting them in - in the locations needed, would be
costly and unnecessary.

>What gets me is the people sitting in front of the TV with 20
>acres all lit up.
Yes - they should be out there putting in switches! :)
If, they should perchance glance away from the TV, they can see their
cattle and, they can't see but, know the coyote and human predators
it is keeping away.

>They're my woods.  I can do what I want with, in, and to them.
>
>Fine if it doesn't affect my woods too, except a yard light that only
>shines on just your woods hasn't been invented yet.
>Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West
Don't worry, I would make sure they were nowhere near you.

The extra woods and road they do shine on are appreciated
by the neigbors and visitors I have.  In the country, almost all
are welcome all of the time and, we don't have to get up to turn
the light on for them.  Just like Motel 6. :)

Jon