Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night sky

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:58:05 -0800 (PST)
> I did not realise that the land of the (nearly) free
> electricity had
> low-energy bulbs (I assume that that is what CF means) ;-).
> They
> make a huge difference to electricity bills, but they also use
> less
> of the world's energy.

I'm very interested in solar power for both heating (air/water)
and for electricity production.  Unfortunately retrofit costs
are very high so we have been addressing the situation on the
consumption side.  Still can't get my wife to turn the computer
off when she is done with it, but that is a small concession.

Electricity costs are not that cheap here in the US.  Few places
actually have more expensive electricity.  However, gas for the
car is another story.  Cost of living here in Iowa is NOT as
cheap as the locals like to brag that it is.  Housing costs
(equivelent square feet) are lower, but utilities and taxes are
high. Besides, in the big cities, people just have slightly
smaller houses to stay in the same housing cost range as we do
here in Iowa.  My mortgage payment is $1200 per month which
isn't too bad, but not too far from what the average city
dweller pays.  Difference is that my house is 20 years old
instead of 120 and about 3000 square feet (including basement)
instead of 900.  I also have to shovel my own sidewalks.