Re: [OM] OM prices in general

Subject: Re: [OM] OM prices in general
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:42:30 -0600 (CST)

> Good prices indeed. Both lenses are failry sought after lenses. I just
> recently paid a bit over $300.00 for a 135 f4.5 with caps and felt that was
> a pretty good (but not Fang) deal. To get either lens for $350.00 with the
> telescopic tube is very good.
>
> Hard to say whether the softening prices is a temporary trend or not. I
> guess the next thing for Skip to do is track selling dates and graph the
> prices over time, perhaps the prices drop around the beginning of the year
> on a regular basis. (BTW, just kidding about the date tracking Skip!)
>
> Jim Couch

It seem to me that a divergence in prices is taking place as the OMs
transition from a mass-market system to a collectible or user-
collectible. Prices seem to be rising on really pristine items and
harder-to-find ones, but falling on the common-as-dirt stuff. Though
never in the Canon AE-1 category, the earlier amateur stuff was sold
in colossal numbers, lasts forever, and continues to pour into the
used market as people switch to AF, P&S, and digital. Enthusiasts and
collectors are still buying, though. As a result, one can put
together a fairly comprehensive system for not much more than one of
the more expensive P&Ses, but if you want a 16mm, or even an 85 or 180,
you'll pay a pretty penny.

Paul