Re: [OM] slightly OT pin hole lens

Subject: Re: [OM] slightly OT pin hole lens
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 19:51:15 EST
waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> What I'd like to try with it is making a pin hole lens.

Let me start by saying, "I don't know," however having said that, I would
also like to say that not knowing never stopped me from sharing my opinion in
the past.  Yes, it is a new year, but I'm not going to change that part of my
wonderful personality.

I have pondered this situation in the past and have thought of how I could
accomplish what you are trying to accomplish.  What I had considered doing
was to take a body cap, drill a hole in it, glue the piece of metal with the
pin hole in it over the hole in the body cap and then figure out which
extension tube or tubes I would need to use to accomplish the right results.
This way I don't need to screw up a lens and if I become disenchanted with
the project my only lose is a body cap (a generic one) and a little time.

This all being said, I would add that Santa had a pin hole camera under the
tree for me this year.  It is a Zero Image hand made wooden multi format
model.  Haven't tried it out yet, however will.  Perhaps this week end.  The
pin hole is tiny.  I think the aperture is something like f 256.  There is no
focusing.  The DOF is tremendous.  On a 6X9 negative the focal length is 40
mm or in 35 mm term something like 15 to 18 mm.  The camera cost about $120.
This Zero Image name if spoken quickly could be confused with someone saying
Zuiko quickly.  Couldn't it?  I would report my results to the list, but then
I would likely get kicked off, so this will have to be my secret . . . maybe.

If you do a Google search for pin hole cameras, you will come up with many
sites.  Some of these will tell you how to make the pin hole.  None of which
say anything about breaking out your trusty Craftsman drill and assorted
drill bits.  Bill Barber