Re: [OM] Backdrops?

Subject: Re: [OM] Backdrops?
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 11:43:57 -0600
In short, anything!  I keep several king-sized flat bedsheets wadded up in a
quickbag, along with one or two "real" backdrops -- a big grey muslin, a
purple nylon mesh (doesn't show wrinkles much), along with black, white, cream
sheets, and one (expensive!) sheet of red satin.  You can light from the front
in traditional style, or fire a light from behind the backdrop for an unusual
effect.

In-house, I keep roll paper handy -- black and white, of course, but I've had
alot of fun shooting on red/crimson -- really versatile.  If you go for blue,
keep it darker -- light blue is tough, only works for some subjects.  And I've
never felt satisfied with greens or yellows -- yech! -- but plants may do OK.
W/B&W film, of course, you can use filters to darken/lighten your subject in
relation to the backdrop anyway.

Just for fun, I've shot using bamboo shades as a backdrop, bricks, bookcases,
paneling that looked like tile, you name it!