Re: [OM] Backdrops?

Subject: Re: [OM] Backdrops?
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 14:20:30 -0800
====I appreciate all the great suggestions - I'll sure try (most
of) them out (maye not the satin one right away *gg*). Let me be a bit
more specific: Assume, for a second, a black backdrop behind a bonsai
(tree...). While in a studio, I noticed that there were some backdrop
fabrics which remained "black black" even when iluminated rather
strongly. Very preliminary experiments with velvet reveal that this is not
exactly easy to achieve ;( ======

The stuff I picked up at a fabric store was called velvet but it has less
sheen than velvet or velour.
It looks like it would be used for crafts instead of clothing.
There is this stuff that puppeteers and magicians use for black art but it
is expensive.
You could also try spray painting some cardboard flat black.
The closer the light is too the background the more chance of reflection.
Leave plenty of distance.  Do Not Use Auto!!!  You need a flash meter.
For B+W you could use hot lights and an incident meter.
Do you use filters to control the contrast of the leaves in B+W?

Pro backdrops are made of the least reflecting material possible.
They are the best.
Also if you are shooting color negs. the lab could screw it all up.
Tell them what you are looking to do.

Charlie