RE: [OM] Design considerations? (Long)

Subject: RE: [OM] Design considerations? (Long)
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 16:53:03 +1100
> Winsor Crosby [mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> I am afraid I disagree on rigid v. flexible body issue.
> The relationship of the film plane to the lens is important
> enough that some companies like Contax have used vacuum to
> make it more exact or Leica uses a one piece metal casting
> on the M6.  If you hang a 200 mm lens on the front of a
> flexible plastic body that whole relationship is disturbed
> unless there is some special effort to stiffen the mirror
> box and the lens mount. The lens has to be perpendicular to
> the film plane.

Would a metal lens mount make much difference to this
equation? This is a curiosity question, not a "questioning"
question. I'm not certain how much metal is in the 50E, other
than mount and top and bottom plates. I guess the better
test than twisting the camera body in your hands is to
measure how much flexing occurs when you attach a decent
whack of lens. I'm not sure of a simply way to measure
this though (I keep thinking of tripod-mounting camera and
lens and looking throught the viewfinder before removing
support from the lens, and then after - not easy to do in
a shop though. I might try it with my weightiest lens though).

Of course, if you hang a plastic camera body off a handheld
or tripod-mounted 200mm lens, body-twist is less of an issue.
The "consumer zooms" may be less of an issue as well, being
not only absent of focussing scales, but absent of much
metal in their construction too). I believe the EOS 300 or
3000 *may* come with plastic lens mount as they're
entry-level cameras. The 50E (or 30) and above are metal,
but depending on the answer to the question above, that
may count for little.

I guess I should also point out that *I* am defending a
purchase, whereas you and Mark are effectively not. That's
a point against me. Naturally, I loathe too see something
I've spent substantial money on criticised <grin>

I bow to your greater wisdom Windsor (and despite the fact
that it's almost compulsory in any internet forum, there is
absolutely *no* sarcasm intended in that comment). I've a
feeling my OM1 may come out better than my 50E in this test.

Don't beg off criticising my thoughts folks - I selfishly
tend to learn more from playing devil's advocate than any
info I provide. :-)

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz