[OM] Re: Epson Printers - advice wanted

Subject: [OM] Re: Epson Printers - advice wanted
From: "Steve Dropkin" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 16:44:25 GMT
Roger D. Key writes:
I am considering upgrading my colour printer from a HP R45 Office Jet to an
Epson printer. The three models that are available in Denmark are the 1290,
the 890, and the 790.

If Epson has held true to their usual practice, the 890 is just like the 1290 except for the size of the paper it can use. I'm not familiar enough with the 790 to speak about it. I recently bought a (U.S. spec) 875DC (like the 1270 people speak about on the list, but it handles smaller paper and it can handle memory cards right on the printer). I've been very happy with it so far, though I have not yet printed anything on photographic paper. I bought an Epson because they seem to be the choice by far of people who are using inkjet printers for artistic purposes. There seems to be a greater variety of archival and special-effects inks available for Epson than just about any other printer brand out there, and cross-platform support that, at these price points, only HP can match. Note that the Epson uses "chipped" cartridges -- this has been a bit of an obstacle for third-party ink sellers. In just about every review I could find on the Web, Epson's products always did better in photo quality than HP's products. They also seem to do better in the longevity department (at least if you're using archival ink and proper paper). I would say any of the three printers you mentioned would be a significant move up from your OfficeJet.
Steve