Re: [OM] Re: Lens Caps, digression into 50mm lens rant

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Lens Caps, digression into 50mm lens rant
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 13:39:25 +0000
At 06:02 12/22/01, Tom Trottier wrote:
On Friday, December 21, 2001 at 20:42, John A. Lind wrote re "Re: [OM] Re:
Lens Caps, digression into 50mm lens" saying:
[snip]

> However, adherents of Leitz' lenses prefer them, not because of pure MTF,
> but for other less tangible factors that are difficult to measure on a bench
> in a laboratory.

Advertising. Class. Prestige. Name.

tOM

Add to that the "I can afford this and YOU CANNOT" snobbery, but that doesn't apply to *all* its users.

There's no doubt the Leica was (and still is) "wrist jewelry" for some "wannabes." If one cannot make world-class photographs, the "next best thing" is pretending to be able to by buying the hardware used by some famous world-class photographers. The same applies to the Kyocera's Contax and the high end of Nik*n's offerings. [I'd rather work at being a participant than a spectator; it's more rewarding.]

For others it was the overall manner in which they rendered photographs. With the "serious" shooters (not the "wannabes") the Leica threadmount had appeal because it was created and herded through its evolution and design iterations by a single person, Oskar Barnack (much like Maitani presided over the OM system). It shows in the complete system and there is an aesthetic beauty to it in addition to its high performance. Zeiss Ikon's Contax was more "design by committee" at Zeiss Ikon. Although also well-integrated and equally world-class, it doesn't show as much unified "vision" as the Leica. Priorities in their design goals were different.

Leitz' LTM RF vs. ZI's Contax RF is the *original* 35mm Holy War dating from the early 1930's and spanned three decades. It was conducted through magazine articles, letters to editors, and even small printed tracts. I only wonder what the "rec.photo" archives would contain if the internet had exised then. The Can*n vs. Nik*n 35mm SLR Holy War has yet to reach its cacophony level.

-- John