Re: [OM] Re: Lens Caps, digression into 50mm lens rant

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Lens Caps, digression into 50mm lens rant
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 15:28:49 -0500
Having owned a IIIb, I have to agree it worked well and was small and light
(Coincidence? I Think Not), especially with the collapsing lenses.

Alas, like my Nikon S2 and SP, it was stolen. In this case, when I was
living in the back of a truck near Telegraph Avenue some 32 years ago....

I still have 3 lenses (Elmar, Canon, Steinheil) for it that I'll have to
sell on eBay some day.

But I didn't like the bulk added past the IIIf. Contax-inspired?
And their reflexes????? Diet needed.

tOM

On Saturday, December 22, 2001 at 13:39, John A. Lind
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] Re: Lens Caps, digression into 50mm lens" saying:
> There's no doubt the Leica was (and still is) "wrist jewelry" for some
> "wannabes."  If one cannot make world-class photographs, the "next best
> thing" is pretending to be able to by buying the hardware used by some
> famous world-class photographers.  The same applies to the Kyocera's Contax
> and the high end of Nik*n's offerings.  [I'd rather work at being a
> participant than a spectator; it's more rewarding.]
>
> For others it was the overall manner in which they rendered
> photographs.  With the "serious" shooters (not the "wannabes") the Leica
> threadmount had appeal because it was created and herded through its
> evolution and design iterations by a single person, Oskar Barnack (much like
> Maitani presided over the OM system).  It shows in the complete system and
> there is an aesthetic beauty to it in addition to its high performance.
> Zeiss Ikon's Contax was more "design by committee" at Zeiss Ikon.  Although
> also well-integrated and equally world-class, it doesn't show as much
> unified "vision" as the Leica.  Priorities in their design goals were
> different.
>
> Leitz' LTM RF vs. ZI's Contax RF is the *original* 35mm Holy War dating from
> the early 1930's and spanned three decades.  It was conducted through
> magazine articles, letters to editors, and even small printed tracts.  I
> only wonder what the "rec.photo" archives would contain if the internet had
> exised then.  The Can*n vs. Nik*n 35mm SLR Holy War has yet to reach its
> cacophony level.
>
> -- John
------------------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ottawa-
photo-clubs
tOM A. Trottier,        ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115    N45.412
W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980