Re: WAS: [OM] Cordless TTL? NOW: Flashmeter?

Subject: Re: WAS: [OM] Cordless TTL? NOW: Flashmeter?
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:29:52 -0500
The one I have, from 30 years ago, and probably the cheapest, is the Wein
500. There's 3 on ebay now at
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=fla
sh+meter+wein&maxRecordsPerPage=100&SortProperty=MetaNewSort&SortOrder=d&cat
egory0=625&BasicSearch=

Easy to use. f/2 to 22, ASA 25-400, 1/3 stop readings, $10-50 used, uses 9V
battery.

And there's others from Minolta, Gossen, Calumet, Rollei, Sekonic that are
more contemporary.

Tom

On Thursday, December 20, 2001 at 19:55, Mickey Trageser
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "WAS: [OM] Cordless TTL? NOW: Flashmeter?" saying:

> Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! Since there have been numerous
> mentions of 'affordable' flash meters, could anyone recommend such a beast?
> Truly appreciate it. -Mickey ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bachofen"
> <mbachofen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday,
> December 20, 2001 1:00 AM Subject: Re: [OM] Cordless TTL?
>

> All this cordless TTL stuff aside.  I remember T.Scales or somebody posting
> a long time ago and questioning results with TTL on portraits.  D. Fang
> pointed out that TTL is not a the best in a portrait situation, but a good
> flash meter and technique work best. M.E. Bachofen

> On 12/20/01 at 12:54 AM Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >Ikelite, and perhaps Metz, Nikon and others have built flashes that slave
> >both on light start and light off. So with one triggering OTF flash from
> >any camera, the other flashes are also controlled. I think one of the Metz
> >flashes on camera can also signal quench by radio. Have your $$$ ready.
> >
> >Haven't tried any of this, though.
> >
> >Tom
> >
> >On Wednesday, December 19, 2001 at 23:52, Mickey Trageser
> ><olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >wrote re "Re: [OM] Cordless TTL?" saying:
> >
> >> That's exactly right. Tripping over a flash cord is most distressing.
> >Plus,
> >>       Has anyone built a cordless TTL flash link for Olympus systems? Is
> >it
> >>       possible at a reasonable cost for an experimenter? I'm not
> >technically
> >>       inclined, but I have wielded a soldering iron and followed
> >>       instructions that include schematic and parts list. I would think
> >the
> >>       rig would have to be very fast to relay the signals without enough
> >>       delay to affect the exposure.
> >>
> >>       Just wondering/curious. It would be neat to go cordless.

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633
fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa Ont. Canada K1R
7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974    Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx N45.412
W75.714
Laws are the spider's webs which,
if anything small falls into them they ensnare it,
but large things break through and escape.
        --Solon, statesman (c.638-c558 BCE)
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."   --
Benjamin Franklin