Re: [OM] Film Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Scanners
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:04:27 -0800
I went through this several months ago, talked to others with various solutions and did a lot of internet research. I ended up with a CanoScan 2710, with VUESCAN.EXE to replace the bundled software and have been very happy with it.

A few things I read or learned in the process that may not be general knowledge and affected my choice: - SCSI can be troublesome. A number of people reported trouble getting a new scanner to work with existing SCSI cards. The CanoScan came with a bundled card, reducing trouble and cost. - Multiple scans to reduce low level noise (dark areas in slides, light areas for negs) is an important feature. Vuescan adds this capability to some scanners that don't come with it, including the CanoScan. - Digital Ice software is a software solution to a hardware design issue. The design of the light sources in the Nikon, Minolta and ?? scanners tends to image dust, scratches, etc. on the film surface really effectively. Some other scanners, the CanoScan among them, don't need 'Ice' because of their optical design. - The cost of an APS adapter varies by about $100 between brands. If, like me, you have an APS camera in the family, that is significant. It was free with the CanoScan. - There are some good, through tests out on the internet with excellent image examples. I recall DPreview.com, but there are others as well.

I've had excellent results from slides and negs and amazing results from some APS negs; quality 8x10s from about half of a neg! It seems crummy process/printing sells this format way short of it's potential. I paid $500, but they are probably cheaper now, and I see they now have a USB model.

What do I wish it had, now that I've lived with it?
- Faster scans.  More $$
- Automated scanning of multiple images. More $$
- More dpi?? A lot more $$ for me. I would need a new computer; Photoshop already gets slooow with the 2720dpi images, and 10 gigs of hard drive are almost full..... I'm also not sure I'd see that much difference in the actual prints?

Have fun!!
   Moose

AndyJRadcliffe@xxxxxxx wrote:

As I am currently in the market for a film scanner , I was wondering if anyone could help me with suggestions(constructive , of course:>) or recommendations? As all this digital technology is fairly new to me I need all the help that I can get, and who better to ask than you guys? (grovel, grovel ) I would have liked to be a loyal Olympus user (not just because I have some prize money to spend with Olympus UK) but their customer service dept. informed me that they make no such animal . I believe that theyused to make one (the ES10) -is it still available in the US, and was/is it any good anyway?

Regards,
Andy.