Re: [OM] Film Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Scanners
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:24:45 +0000
Andy, are you in the UK?  If so then I think you'll pay about the same
number of pounds as our transatlantic friends pay dollars for said
scanners.

I don't know much about the alternatives but I know I like my Scanwit.
It does everything I want it to, which is mostly scans for web use, but
also for the occasional print.  It costs about #300 in the UK.  It comes
with a SCSI card, which you need to install if you don't have a SCSI
connection.  It's very straightforward and mine's worked like a charm.
Go and look at www.photoscientia.co.uk for lots more useful information
about the Scanwit.

Whatever you do, though, don't get the Jessops 1800U film scanner (which
looks to be a rebadged Microtek scanner).  I bought one of them before I
got the Scanwit and it was just dreadful.  Quite unacceptably poor
quality.  The Scanwit is infintely better than that.

Roger