Re: [OM] New Olys

Subject: Re: [OM] New Olys
From: "Bruce Hamm" <bhamm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 07:49:54 -0500
> > Here's the main paragraph of the Photo Industry Reporter article. The
> > new interchangeable-lens digital SLR *will not* use existing Olympus
> > lenses....
> >

> This INFURIATES me!  Why on earth would it not?

Olympus has maintained all along that the new slr won't use Zuiko lenses. as
far as Canon and Nikon, they had no choice but to make their digital bodies
compatible with existing lenses so that pros would accept them. Too many
working professionals have invested heavily into those systems to expect
them to drop those systems in favour of digital.As Olympus has not supported
the OM system for some time, they do not have that "liability". Personally I
don't have a problem with their decision, if it will indeed lead to a better
quality product. I, for one, will be tickled if Olympus releases a body that
follows many of Maitani's design principles (that we all love in our OMs),
yet takes silent, fast, imaged stabilized autofocus lenses. The best report
I've read on this camera is about its price point. Olympus is hoping to sell
it in the $1500 range (body only, i assume).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and anxiously looking forward to the camera's
release. I'll reserve my judgement until then...

Bruce

Bruce Hamm
Ottawa, Canada
bhamm@xxxxxxxx