Re: [OM] New Olys (digital interchangeable lens SLR)

Subject: Re: [OM] New Olys (digital interchangeable lens SLR)
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:09:42 -0500
On Thursday, December 20, 2001 at 11:41, Roger Wesson
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] New Olys" saying:

> ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > Here's the main paragraph of the Photo Industry Reporter article. The new
> > interchangeable-lens digital SLR *will not* use existing Olympus
> > lenses....
>
> This INFURIATES me!  Why on earth would it not?  If you really do need
> different optical technology for digital as opposed to film use (and I
> am not sufficiently informed to know why this is.  In astronomy, there
> was no need to build masses of new telescopes when CCDs began to replace
> film 10-15 years ago) you could at least use the same mount as the old
> lenses.  The Nikon D1X can use Nikkor lenses made in the 50s, and this
> doesn't seem to have affected its reputation for producing high quality
> images.  I've never seen a review that didn't drool over it.
>
> Is this just Olympus wanting to force us all to buy entirely new kit if we
> should want to go digital?  If so, then that's the kind of thing that'd make
> me want to switch to another less cynical manufacturer (if I didn't have an
> irrational and unshakable affection for Olympus cameras).

But:
        - the image sensor is much smaller than a 35 negative
        - good Zuikos don't support autofocus
        - Zuikos don't communicate their absolute f/stop
        - people want image stabilisation
        - CCD & CMOS prefer vertical light entry (shouldn't be much of an issue
for telephotos)

So Olympus is smarter to design a new system, before anyone else does, that
takes advantage of the the smaller image sensor to make a system smaller
and  lighter than the N---- & C----- behemoths. Presumably all later bodies
will keep the same size sensor, even if they increase the number of pixels.

Let's hope they have an OM adaptor. If they're smart, they'll have adaptors
for OM, N----, C----- M------, P-----, Tamron, and Pen to make transition
attractive for a large customer base.

The non-AF, non-IS lenses should be easy. The others may run into patent
and logistical (weight, placement, software, voltage, ...) problems.

What about it, Olympus? Will there be adaptors? Will you tempt us?

Tom
------------------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ottawa-
photo-clubs
tOM A. Trottier,        ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115    N45.412
W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980