Re: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise

Subject: Re: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:38:42 -0500
On Sunday, December 16, 2001 at 16:09, Jim Couch <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise" saying:

> Actually, you probably don't see much corbon fiber in cameras because it
> would not really save any weight in tht application. What we refer to as
> 'carbon fiber' is a composite material consisting of carbon fibers held
> together with a resin. In some applications it can make for an appreciable
> weight savings, and add strength. But notice your examples, for the most
> part they use the material in a similar manner, long tubes or planes, this
> is where carbon fiber works particularily well. In particular, it is useful
> where you want to tune the stiffness and make a structure very stiff in one
> or more directions. A camera is not constructed like this at all and in
> general the stiffness of the structure is not an issue.

Except for long lenses. But might be useful in damping vibrations from
shutter, auto aperture.

> Other composite materials such as polycarbonates actaully work better in
> these applications. Because of the use of resins in 'traditional' carbon
> fiber, a camera made with the kind of carbon fiber composits we usually
> think of would probably be no lighter than one made of aluminum and
> titanium, such as the OM-4T.

I've read that carbon fibre is about 1/2 the weight of aluminum in a
similar application. Titanium is 25 0.000000e+00avier than aluminum. In resin,
it's
probably not conductive, so could serve as a substrate for circuits.

Canon & Nikon use it in the shutter, and Canon in the Rebel 2000 body.

> There are some compsite materials, that are more similar to
> polycarbonates that incorporate som carbon fiber as well, these would be
> suitable for camera bodies, and I would not be suprised if some of the
> pro grade SLRs are not using these types of materials.
>
> I doubt that there is actually that much room for significant weight
> reduction of pro grade cameras through materials use as far as the outer
> body itself is concerned. My guess is that the internal components offer
> more potential for weight reductions (motors, controls, electronics) than
> the body.

But savings in weight AND vibration isolation/control.

> The raw materials for carbon composite materials (and titanum for that
> matter) are not expensive, it is working with the materials and turning it
> into something useful that is costly.
>
> There apparetnly is also gains to bemade in reducing lens size and weight. I
> know Canon is working on such a project.
>
> Jim Couch
>
> Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Well, there's lots of carbon fibre in tennis rackets, hockey sticks, bike
> > frames, flutes, guitars, race cars, golf clubs, yachts, planes, tripods,
> > and other stuff because it's light, strong, stiff, and vibration damping.
> > Just we want in a camera. The amount would be small & cheap. I imagine the
> > problem is technical -  how to make fittings for the other stuff and
> > achieve the tolerances required. Titanium also has its construction
> > problems.
> >
> > Sooner or later, starting at the top, the pros will get a little tired of
> > carrying all those pounds around.

tOM

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633
fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa Ont. Canada K1R
7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974    Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx N45.412
W75.714
Laws are the spider's webs which, if anything small falls
into them
they ensnare it, but large things break through and
escape.
        --Solon, statesman (c.638-c558 BCE)
temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."     --
Benjamin Franklin