RE: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise

Subject: RE: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise
From: Giles <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 21:18:03 +0000

Carbon fibre is stiff, strong and light, however, it is not tough. If a thin carbon fibre panel, such as would be required for a top or bottom plate, impacts a sharp object like a rock, it would likely crack and break.

Think of it another way. Carbon fibres have nearly all their strength longitudinally in tensile strength. You can exert a huge pull on the fibres and they will just grin at you. Exert a force perpendicular to the fibre that bends it sharply and it will snap.

For toughness you want something like kevlar or better still dyneema (spectra,syntex).

Dyneema is lighter, stronger and tougher than Carbon fibre.

Titanium is very tough, You might be able to brass it easily but try and do anything else to it...

Forming small intricate parts from composite plastics is relatively difficult, time consuming and expensive.

Titanium, just stick a sheet in a press - BAM - you have your part . Actually I believe it is not quite this simple with Titanium but it would be more nearly so than with composites.

Giles

I wonder what would happen though if someone
did vcome out with a carbon fiber constructed camera.
It would be light, but probably a heck of a lot
stronger than the plastimagic SLR's of today. Too bad
it would probably cost a mint and there is little
market pressure for this type of development (I think)