Re: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise

Subject: Re: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 16:09:25 -0800
Actually, you probably don't see much corbon fiber in cameras because it would
not really save any weight in tht application. What we refer to as 'carbon
fiber' is a composite material consisting of carbon fibers held together with a
resin. In some applications it can make for an appreciable weight savings, and
add strength. But notice your examples, for the most part they use the material
in a similar manner, long tubes or planes, this is where carbon fiber works
particularily well. In particular, it is useful where you want to tune the
stiffness and make a structure very stiff in one or more directions. A camera
is not constructed like this at all and in general the stiffness of the
structure is not an issue. Other composite materials such as polycarbonates
actaully work better in these applications. Because of the use of resins in
'traditional' carbon fiber, a camera made with the kind of carbon fiber
composits we usually think of would probably be no lighter than one made of
aluminum and titanium, such as the OM-4T. There are some compsite materials,
that are more similar to polycarbonates that incorporate som carbon fiber as
well, these would be suitable for camera bodies, and I would not be suprised if
some of the pro grade SLRs are not using these types of materials.

I doubt that there is actually that much room for significant weight reduction
of pro grade cameras through materials use as far as the outer body itself is
concerned. My guess is that the internal components offer more potential for
weight reductions (motors, controls, electronics) than the body.

The raw materials for carbon composite materials (and titanum for that matter)
are not expensive, it is working with the materials and turning it into
something useful that is costly.

There apparetnly is also gains to bemade in reducing lens size and weight. I
know Canon is working on such a project.

Jim Couch