RE: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise

Subject: RE: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 17:30:17 -0500
On Saturday, December 15, 2001 at 12:33, Winsor Crosby
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "RE: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise" saying:

> >At 18:19 12/15/01, Tom Trottier wrote:
> >>The Olympus Stylus Epic is probably the smallest full-frame 35 (The
> >>Tessina is smaller but heavier and has 14x21mm negs) and it has auto
> >>focus, spot metering, motor drive & rewind and energy-saving flash.
> >>Plastic body, f/2.8, 145g, the size of 3 film boxes, and $80. So they
> >>haven't lost their creativity.
> >>
> >>tOM
> >
> >For cameras in current production, I believe the Minolta TC-1 is
> >smaller and is likely *the* smallest, but not by much.  At $900,
> >smaller size costs much more (among other bells and whistles).  I
> >haven't searched exhaustively for the smallest (in production), so
> >there may be another camera staking claim to it.
> >
> >The Olympus XA, long out of production, is slightly smaller than the
> >Stylus along two of three dimensions.  The Rollei 35, also long out
> >of production, is smaller than the XA along the same two dimensions,
> >although it is much heavier with metal frame and body.
> >
> >The Rollei 35 and its succesors through the 35TE/SE held an
> >unchallenged "smallest full frame" status from 1966 until the
> >Olympus XA, circa 1978.  If the lenses are omitted on both, the
> >Rollei body is smaller.  The Minox EL (1974) came close.  The
> >Minolta TC-1 has much less debatably taken that position away from
> >the Rollei 35 by beating it in two of three dimensions and having an
> >integral flash.  I've included their dimensions below so that you
> >can see how close these all are dimensionally.  The stylus is 15mm -
> >20mm longer.  Otherwise, the differences are just a few millimeters
> >among all of them.  They all push the envelope hard on how small a
> >full frame can be made.

The Stylus (Mju) came before the Stylus Epic (Mjy II).
> >Oly Stylus:  117mm x 63mm   x  37mm
> >Oly XA:      102mm x 65mm   x  40mm

   Oly Styus Epic 111mm x 60mm x 38mm

> >Minox EL:    102mm x 69mm   x  34mm (lens collapsed)
> >Rollei 35:    97mm x 60mm   x  44.8mm (lens collapsed)
> >Minolta TC-1  99mm x 58.4mm x  30.5mm (body, not counting lens)
> >
> >AFIK no camera makers other than Minolta, Olympus and Minox (35EL in
> >1974) have created full-frame 35mm that challenge Rollei's "smallest
> >size" achievement in 1966.
> >
> >-- John
> >

> All true, but the Stylus includes an electronic flash and a motorized
> winder.  If you add those to the other cameras the difference is
> dramatic.

The TC-1 does have a motor drive and flash.

The Epic is lighter than the TC-1 (185g vs 145g) and the shape fits in the
pocket better than the squarish TC-1, and probably in the hand. To make it
smaller on the left, the film runs from right to left.

The epic is also 90-95 0.000000e+00ss expensive.

Lets not mention the Loma Compact.

Tom

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633
fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa Ont. Canada K1R
7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974    Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx N45.412
W75.714
Laws are the spider's webs which, if anything small falls
into them
they ensnare it, but large things break through and
escape.
        --Solon, statesman (c.638-c558 BCE)
temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."     --
Benjamin Franklin