Re: [OM] Flash techniques for total beginners?

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash techniques for total beginners?
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hans@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:02:15 +0100
: color under flash photog. I was wondering what I could
: do to either lessen the flash power to acceptable
: levels, or configure the lens to take a good picture
: in spite of the flash. Thanks for any answers.

Very simple - in TTL OTF mode (and also in FP Mode) the flash responds to
the exposure compensation dial. If people look bleached in flash pictures
it's probably because they're not filling the frame (which is always the
case when you use a wide angle) and reads too much from the background. It
has nothing to do with the whiteness of their skin - on the contrary. When
TTL reads too much white, it underexposes. If it reads too much darkness
from the background, it overexposes. So either you paint the house in
neutral grey ;) or you apply an underexposure of -1.

To judge the effect of the compensation dial you really should use slide
film - automatic print processors can make the same mistakes as TTL
readings. So if you used negatives you may want to check them if the skins
are really washed out or that your prints are just done badly.

hnz