RE: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise

Subject: RE: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:04:57 -0800
I think my dad's concern is just how long can a system last. This all started with his attempt to find a bellows. We went though 3 in our search and all had age problems. He doesn't want to switch just for the sake of switching, but to ensure that he doesn't wake up one day to find oil all over his aperture blades and camera not working. I may be over-simplifying matters, but he is asking a fundamental question: can we trust the OM system and lenses to be there 10 years from now? I think so, but it is a concern given the age it is now.

-Bill Clark

My experience is that few systems stay around very long. One almost has to anticipate all your usage of the system and then buy everything you think you will need while it is available. Then cost becomes an issue. Also, age and amount of use is a factor. Unless your dad is really young maybe something that lasts forever is not really an issue. ( I am fast approaching the age that a point and shoot may outlast me. :-) ) You might check the availability of a range of lenses and accessories for older manual focus designs and you will note that OM availability is probably the most extensive.

An additional consideration is that one is currently able to get reliable service on professional OM models that were discontinued almost 20 years ago and there are currently new OM models available. Chances are that even if OM3Ti/4Tis were discontinued today you could probably get them serviced into 2020. One might check around for models from other manufacturers that were discontinued 20 years ago and see how you do finding a service facility. It may give you an indication. I have a friend who switched to a new Pentax because he could not find anyone to work on his C*non AE1 and the manufacturer no longer supports it. He is not very happy with the P.

There is an additional factor to consider. I shudder, but it is possible that digital technology will finally outstrip film. Already there are people on the list whose everyday camera is a digital model. Perhaps within the next 10 years. How sad to think of replacing the Oly stuff with another expensive film system that may be shortly outmoded.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California