Re: [OM] Location Contest

Subject: Re: [OM] Location Contest
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 14:12:00 -0800 (PST)
> It is terrestrial, although STLTEOQ4011 is not.  And for those
> of you in Europe, this message could have passed through
> ATONHSR0750 (V 00090.00 H 00153.00).

OK, ok, I'll spew the details.  In telecommunications most
companies have adopted something called Telcordia Standards.
There are a miriad of terms, definitions, etc., to represent
everything from Diurnal Wander (not caused by drinking too much
tea), to circuit naming conventions.  Primary types of codes we
deal with are CLCI codes (circuit naming), NC/NCI codes
(electrical characteristics), and CLLI coes (locations).  We
also have our own means of determining location on the face of
the earth using V and H coordinates.  VH coordinates are linear
therefore you can use them to determine mileage (circuits are
billed by the air miles) with a simple formula instead of the
whacky calculations needed to figure mileage for latitude and
longitude coordinates.

NWTNIA0A015 is a CLLI code.  In other words, this is a specific
location on the earth where a hicap (T1 or greater) circuit
terminates.  Every single T1 (DS1) or greater circuit MUST be
terminated to a CLLI code.  In this example, NWTN=Newton,
IA=Iowa and 0A015 represents a unique entity within the NWTNIA
exchange.  A cell tower site would be named slightly differently
and would be something like NWTNIAQ0015.  Buildings with
multiple entities would have a building code NWTNIAXY
(00-99,AA-ZZ) and the entities would add three additional digits
based upon the entity type (switching, actls, etc.).  The
...0A015 is a standalone code that represents a specific
end-user and is equipment non-specific.

Totally lost?  I was needing to experiment with a location code
the other day so I used my own home address to create a new
code.  NWTNIA0A015 is my own house and the V and H numbers
represent the exact location on the planet where it is located.

Now you know.

Oh, STLTEOQ4011 represents a specific transponder on a Satellite
in Earth Orbit.  ATONHSR0750 is a repeater location in the
Atlantic Oceon (HS=High Seas).  Ships will have CLLI codes if
they have dedicated high speed satellite communications and will
use the ocean of normal operations (or where their primary port
is).

I wasn't lying when I said that NWTNIA0A015 had Olympus Content.

AG-Schnozz