Re: [OM] Flash, Bounce Grip, Advice needed !

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash, Bounce Grip, Advice needed !
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 18:55:34 +0000
At 21:03 12/4/01, Jon Mitchell asked:
Hello everyone,

Some advice needed before I make my next purchase (or at least, before I put
it on my Christmas List !!)
[almost all the rest snipped out]

Jon,

An alternative:
In addition to the Oly "T" series, Metz makes shoe mounted flash heads similar to the T-20 and T-32. The Metz Mecablitz flash units are pro grade and every bit equal to the "T" series. Because they are also versatile as dedicated flashes for almost every system made, the prices for used ones are reasonable, but definitely not bargain basement.

Compatibility of the Metz flashes with various systems is achieved through a module. With the "generic" module (an SCA 301) it's a generic flash with a single center contact to trigger the flash. This is usually what they come with when new, unless you specifically order it with a dedicated module. The OM system module is still made by Metz (SCA 321).

One of the most popular shoe mounts is the 32-series. They have the same GN as a T-32 and they work much the same way. Used prices on them hover around the same range as for a T-32 (there can be significant variation in price based on condition). If you need more steam than a T-32, Metz also has several variations of the shoe mount 40-MZ (MZ-1, MZ-2 and MZ-3) with a GN about halfway between a T-32 and T-45. A used 40-MZ3i goes for about twice the price of T-32. Admittedly expensive, it has more built-in features and capabilities than a "T" series (beyond a significant jump in GN). A flash handle, much like the Oly BG-2 for the T-20/32, is also available from Metz at just over $100 new. With "C" cells in it, the handle recharges the flash much faster and has capacity for many more flashes before battery replacement/recharge.

The size and mass of a 32-MZ or 40-MZ has the same problem as using a T-32 in the OM-1[n] and OM-2[n] shoes . . . so the same cautions are advised. I've used a T-32 in a Shoe 4 on an OM-1n with care not to bang it around. As long as you protect the flash from being jarred or bashed into something, these shoes will work fine. If you bash the flash, it can crack the shoe.

The Metz system is something to think about . . . and at least know about as an alternative.

Shift lenses:
Shift lenses are special purpose lenses that have a much larger image circle at the film plane than a standard lens. They also have a "shift mechanism" that allows the lens to be shifted up, down, left, and/or right on the lens mount. The 35/2.8 Zuiko Shift allows movement of about 11-12mm in any of the four directions. The primary usage is allowing the lens to be aimed dead level or "dead-on" perpendicular to a flat surface. This keeps parallel lines parallel in the image. The lens can then be shifted to compose the image to place the desired portion of the image circle over the film gate (this can be seen in the viewfinder). A classic example is photographing a tall building with one to keep parallel lines in the building parallel and using the shift to get the top of the building into the frame while elminating the ground clutter that would be included if using a normal lens. There is a marvelous basic tutorial about shift lenses here (includes some good diagrams):
  http://www.bsag.ch/~fs/camera/fov.html

There are other uses for them as well. One is for landscapes when inclusion of objects in the very close foreground is desired to further enhance a sense of scale and depth (look at some generic "calendar" landscape photos). I don't recommend using a shift lens as a general purpose wide angle. Because of the shift mechanism they are manual stop-down. This makes focusing and metering more time consuming. On several occasions I have forgotten to stop the aperture back down on a second or third shot after opening it up to check focus or make a different shift adjustment. There are several very overexposed, very "thin" Kodachromes in my archives to remind me of this.

-- John