Re: [OM] photography books

Subject: Re: [OM] photography books
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 20:41:52 +0000
At 00:08 12/6/01, John Hudson wrote:
If I only chose three, they would be Camera and Negative by Adams and
Feininger's Complete Photographer.

For John Hudson:
This part of your posting made my day   :-)
I have these three and use them as references regularly.

For John Hobson:
Some "first principles" to think about as you begin perusing the books you find: 1. Photography is light. The subject material does not interact with your film, light reflected from it or radiated by it does. 2. Think about "making" photographs versus "taking" photographs. This means having a mental vision of what you want the image to look like before putting your finger on the shutter release. Influence and control everything you can in making an image (yes, some things cannot be controlled, but exert every ounce of it on the things you can control). If you have a vision for the image you want, sorting out how to make it is much, much easier. 3. The photographic "art" is primarily subtractive. It begins with all of reality. Through techniques of composition and controlling light those elements that are unnecessary, distract, or detract from the envisioned image are subtracted from it leaving only those elements that are necessary or enhancing. This makes it much different from the other graphic arts which are additive (painting, drawing, etc. start with blank canvas and add the envisioned image).

-- John