Re: [OM] photography books

Subject: Re: [OM] photography books
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 16:08:56 -0800
John Hobson wrote:

> Can any of you recommend a good 'beginning photography' book to go with
> an OM camera that I will soon own?
>
> I am looking for a good general introduction to photography including the
> theory behind photography and the basics of taking a variety of different
> types of photographs.  The book need not be OM specific, but applicable
> to OM cameras (I would assume that any good photography book would be
> applicable)
>
> cheers
> John

Six books [all none Olympus specific] stand out for me:

The Complete Photographer / Andreas Feininger / Thames and Hudson / ISBN
0-500-01029-3
The Creative Photographer / Andreas Feininger / Prentice-Hall Inc / ISBN
0-13-190611-9
The Amateur Photographer's Handbook / Aaron Sussman / Thomas  Y. Crowell
Co / ISBN 0-690-05782-2

All out of print but should be available in the used book market.

The Camera .. The Ansel Adams Photography Series 1 / Little Brown and Co
/ ISBN 0-8212-2184-1
The Negative .. The Ansel Adams Photography Series 2 / Little Brown and
Co / ISBN 0-8212-2186-8
The Print .. The Ansel Adams Photography Series 3 / Little Brown and Co
/ ISBN 0-8212-2187-6

If I only chose three, they would be Camera and Negative by Adams and
Feininger's Complete Photographer.

Also, any of the Reader's Digest sized books by Andreas Feininger which
date back to the 1960s and 1970s including in particular "The Perfect
Photograph", "Photographic Seeing", and "Principles of Composition in
Photography". These books are little gems but are hard to find on
account of their age.

HTH

John Hudson