RE: [OM] Olympus shift lens

Subject: RE: [OM] Olympus shift lens
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 13:18:39 +0000
At 18:03 12/1/01, Scott Gomez wrote:
The 24 shift is still available new (expensive) and of course, used (fairly
expensive). the 35 shift is, I think, only available used, but great
examples can sometimes be had quite inexpensively. I paid only 303USD for
mine, in mint condition, via e(vil)bay auction.

---
Scott Gomez

Both are available new. The 24/3.5 is twice the price of a 35/2.8 new. However, both are still reasonably priced compared to comparable lenses for other systems. I use the 35/2.8 for photographs other than architectural although I do not recommend trying to use one as a general purpose wide angle. They are manual stop-down and must be metered stopped down. This necessitates a sequence for shifting, focusing and metering. Use of a tripod is strongly recommended because of the shift mechanism. I have done it hand held when a tripod could not be used, but it is a RPITA and takes longer to make the photograph properly.

-- John