Re: [OM] OM clunks, clanks and doinks

Subject: Re: [OM] OM clunks, clanks and doinks
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:40:49 -0500
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:43:12 -0500

>Hey Walt,
>I may have missed an earlier explanation, but I'll ask anyway....
>What were the acoustic characteristics of the room? And how close
>to the camera was the meter. And one more, did you have a lens on
>the body (if so, which one)? I seem to remember that speakers are
>measured at one meter in an anechoic chamber. This is probably
good for comparisons, but not so great for listening... My OM4
sounded quiet at home, but oh so intrusive in Notre Dame, Paris.
>That church had a very 'live' environment.
>
>One more comment. 2 different sounds at equal dB may be more or
>less pleasing. Perhaps even though the OMs registered slightly
>louder than the other cameras, they may have a less offensive
>sound. Could you comment on that?
>-Mickey

Here's a repeat of the description I posted originally of how I
did the deed:

"Each camera had a lens mounted (50/1.4 Zuiko), was set at 1/60
sec. (OM-4 and OM-4Ti on manual) and was situated on a mouse pad
atop a large oak desk in a very quiet (below 40 dB) room.  The
sound meter was positioned one inch from the front of the lens,
resting on enough folded up bubblewrap to raise it to the level of
the center of the lens, and the shutter was tripped carefully with
one or the other index fingers -- I didn't record which.  The
cameras, of course, were not loaded with film, which I can't
imagine would make any difference."

The room actually is quite a bit quieter than 40 dB, but that's
the lowest level the meter will read.

As for the difference in sounds, about the only way I can think of
to describe the difference between the sound of the OMs and the
Pentax is, the Pentax just sounded looser and slower.  As for the
Copal shutter, I was somewhat surprised it measured as loud as it
did.  Being a leaf shutter, it's almost inaudible three or four
feet away.

Walt Wayman