Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:10:16 -0500
Cc: royer007@xxxxxxxxx
Mark,

I'm serious (and not upset) when I ask this question.

Do you REALLY think that anyone cares that Olympus has the OM line still "alive"?

When I was at PhotoPlus in NYC, I lurked a distance from the Olympus booth, and in 20 minutes late on Saturday morning, I didn't see ONE person ask a question about the OM cameras and lenses in the booth. But they were three deep to look at the E10 and E20.

I doubt whether many people these days getting into photography know that the OM line exists. Except for being: "that little old camera that my Mom has in the closet or somewhere", why would anyone starting out think of an OM system as a viable camera to buy? They've become seduced by the dark side.

And I sincerely don't understand your comment:

If Olympus discontinued their OM line completely they
would get eaten alive by the 'photo press' and by
Nikon, Canon, and Minolta, which would seriously wound
their digicam sales.

Do you have first-hand knowledge of the mindset of the photo press that you'd like to share? I'd actually be surprised if anyone cared if it went away? How would Olympus' digital camera sales be affected by the discontinuance of a old, manual-focus, out-of-production, essentially out-of-support camera line?

I keep hearing this rant that Olympus "needs" to have the OM line around to say that they still offer a "professional grade" camera line. What bearing does that have? Is is true? or just an urban legend?

Skip