RE: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:37:08 -0800
 > That is not counting the
 price of a bunch of the high capacity memory cards needed to store
 your photos until you get home or the price of a very portable small
 laptop which will add about 4 pounds to yours camera bag.

 Actually, this one isn't as much of a problem as it once was; see, for
instance,
http://www01.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivat
or__Aproductlist_html___224599___MIDW10GBGB___REG___CatID=3369___SID=EA81BA8
B520

 Hm. Okay, that wrapped to death; basically, a battery-powered 10gb of
storage with compactflash adapter, US$299.95, weight 'less than 12 ounces'.

 -- dan

That is an improvement to carrying around a heavy, expensive laptop; or a lighter, but equally expensive hand full of memory cards. I looked at more recent prices in my B&H catalog and I seriously underestimated the cost of a digital OM. I doubt it would be significantly cheaper than:

Nikon
D1X 5.47 Megapixel Interchangeable Lens SLR Digital Camera Price $5,349.95

or

Canon
Canon EOS-1D 4.1 Megapixel Professional SLR Digital Camera Price $5,499.95

It is just hard for me to follow the logic that a group that does frequently buy new equipment is going to run out and buy a nearly $6000 camera body in large numbers in order to save money by using old lenses. Probably Olympus does not think that market is large enough to be worth the development cost. They will probably target a new market that will not blink twice at paying $5000 for a camera whose CCD will be obsolete in a year.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California