Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 15:20:21 -0800
: How many of this "big group of potential buyers" have rushed to buy
: an OM3T(up to $1600 in the latest B&H catalog) or 35-80/2.8?  Maybe 2
: or 3 percent of OM users?

The OM-3Ti is a very expensive camera for what it has to offer. The only
extra (but unique) feature it has compared to other models is enhanced
TTL/OTF flash in the 1-1/60s range with fill-in control.

The OM3Ti is priced $400 less than a Leica R6-2 which offers about the same thing. It all depends on what you compare it to.

 Hardly something
most OM users can justify to themselves (and to their spouses). Olympus
would have made a better marketing move if it had released the 'definite OM
body' that Maitani had planned (as he told in an interview).

However a digital body that accepts both Zuiko lenses and dedicated digital
AF lenses is a different story in terms of new features you get for your
money. Besides digital bodies pay for themselves because you save the film
and processing costs. If you shoot a lot a digital body pays itself back
within a year, especially if you use professional film with professional
processing, if it's in the same price range as the 3Ti.

Let me hear the top ten reasons why you would *not* buy a digital OM if
Olympus ever releases it.

hnz

1. I would not want to spend a lot of money for the lower quality available now.

2. Even when CCDs get up to the 9 or 10 megapixels that are apparently needed to equal the quality of today's film a digital camera is not such a good deal. If the OM3T is being sold for $1600 and judging from the cost of CCD cameras in general compared to film cameras a digital OM would be about $3000. That is not counting the price of a bunch of the high capacity memory cards needed to store your photos until you get home or the price of a very portable small laptop which will add about 4 pounds to yours camera bag. I think that a digital OM investment without a lens could be $5000 out the door if you count all the things you need. The price hit for digital will pay for a lot of film and processing.

3. If digital cameras continue the megapixel race past the point of equalling film, then I may consider a digital OM, maybe with a discounted earlier CCD so that I can afford it.

4. The situation which I might seriously consider a digital OM would be if terrorism defense reaches the point that it is no longer possible to travel without irreparably damaging unexposed film.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California