Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:11:31 -0500
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx
Back about a year ago, Olympus produced a lame PowerPoint slide that talked about parallelism of the light rays as a big issue in their digital camera design; and one of the primary reasons that the OM line couldn't be retrofitted to their digital cameras. We know that that argument doesn't hold water by itself. The introduction of digital cameras from Kodak, Fuji, Nikon, and Canon that take film-designed lenses is testement that it CAN be done, if you accept the proper compromises.

I've done a lot of reading on this subject and here's my 10 cents and a fabulous technical article on the subject. You really need to read this one for a good explanation of the limits of digital capture and the design decisions that go into the making of lenses for digital cameras.

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/Topics/topic14.html

My take on the big issues why Olympus can't/won't retrofit the OM lenses to the Camedia line:

1. Money: more $$ from new produts instead of selling long-out-of-production OM Zuikos 2. Autofocus: OM lenses = no autofocus = Olympus looks archaic against Nikon and Canon 3. Lens design - OM lenses designed for film capture and not optimal for digital capture, although they'd certainly work 4. Compromises - If they let the OM lenses fit, they'd probably have to introduce other limitations into the system that newer lenses wouldn't have to be restricted by.

So the end result is again: the OM line is dead and we should all use them in peace and enjoy the images we get. If you want interchangable lens digital -- you'll need to buy into another system.

Skip

****** I M P O R T A N T   R E P L Y   I N F O ************
Please adddress ALL offlist messages to skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx
This hotmail.com email address is ONLY used for this mailing list subscription and I will probably not notice any private messages addressed here.