Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:23:26 -0800
As long as there's not too much distance between the film mounting flange and the detector, someone could certainly make an adapter. (If the distance is too long, you'd lose infinity focus).

Problem 1: Any linkages between the body and the lens will be certainly lost. And I bet that the digital camera relies upon digital signals from the lens for aperture information to regulate its exposure.

And if I am not mistaken OM lenses do not even have linkages that allow the reading of aperture to begin with which is why there has never been an aperture readout in an OM camera.

Problem 2: OK, you say, "You could use the lenses in stop down mode". But remember, OM lenses (except the 35 & 24 shift) don't have locking DOF-Preview buttons. Are you going to hold the little button down for every shot? Me thinks not.

Since the body controls the closing of the aperture through a linkage that does not seem like that would be a problem. I am not sure why that would be necessary though. Doesn't the meter of an OM4 operate in both the open and stopped down modes? Why couldn't the same thing be done in a digital camera?

The net result?

- No OM lenses on digital cameras.
- Our OM investments are a dead end re: upgradability.
- Olympus doesn't care about the OM system in the 21st century.
- We're all dinosaurs.

I think you are right there. :-)

- Do not pass GO.
- Do not collect $200.
- GAME OVER, MAN.

Skip :-(

Wasn't there a flurry of discussion on the list about a year ago about a 3d party digital camera that used an OM 35-80/3.8 lens? Is it still going? Was the lens removable?

I really think that when CCDs of decent quality and low price and size approximating a 35mm film frame in size are achieved you will see some enterprising company producing digital backs for all kinds of film based system cameras. We are just not in the economic window yet. And don't expect it to be cheap. Look at the price of a Polaroid back.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California