Re: [OM] teleconverter dilemma

Subject: Re: [OM] teleconverter dilemma
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 01:37:31 +0100
: Kind of related question... I have the IS/L B-300, and I thought, OK I'll
: put this on the 100/2.0 and have a 170/2.0. I had a couple of shots left
on
: a roll, so I mounted up the 100/2.0 and took a picture... the indicated
: exposure (OM-2s on auto) was ~1/250 at f8. Then I screwed on the IS/L and
: took another shot, within 15 seconds, of the same scene, and got the
: expected 170mm narrower viewpoint. But the indicated exposure at f8 was
: about a segment above 1/125... Which would approximately correspond to the
: light lost with a 1.7X converter.
:
: My question: What is is about the IS/L converter that makes it 'faster'
than
: a 1.7X teleconverter put behind the lens?

At the most you loose 1/3 of a stop with the iS/L converter; this
corresponds with these OM-3/4 readings which are accurate to 1/3 stop.
Converters put behind the lens (available from Olympus as 1.4x and 2x) put
extra extension in between which causes 1 resp. 2 stops loss.

hnz